There’s us and the dead. We survive this by pulling together, not apart.
Is this real? Am I here? Wake, wake up.
the other day one of my friends mentioned that they were kind of afraid to hang out with me without other people around bcs they did not know what to do in the event of a seizure, so i feel like i should spread some general knowledge. did u know that seizure first aid is misrepresented about 80% of the time on tv? not cool right
HERE ARE SOME FACTS and then there are no excuses you have to hang out with me
stuff u should do for generalized tonic/clonic seizures i.e. grand mals:
1. try to speak and act in a calm, reassuring manner, inform people nearby they should do the same—no yelling or screaming or general freaking out. i know it’s scary and u don’t want me to get hurt, ty i appreciate, but there is a pretty good chance i am going to be in a state of complete panic and terror, and it’s v. helpful to know someone is there for me and knows what to do
2. clear area of sharp/hard objects and help me lie down
3. if i have glasses? remove them. if i’m wearing a tie? loosen it.
4. put something soft under my head lol yes u probably aren’t carrying a pillow around so like a jacket or something is fine
5. gently turn me on my side that will help keep my airway clear
6. stay with me until i am fully awake, be friendly and reassuring as i return to consciousness again i know u are scared, but don’t worry in the game of scared i have won there is no middle ground
7. time my seizure! if it lasts more than 5 min, if i appear to have difficulty breathing, if my recovery seems slow, if i have a second seizure, if i appear to be in pain or injured as i awake, call 911 (or whatever the number for your emergency service is) this addendum is here bcs fucking health insurance is fucking terrible. IF U KNOW SOMEONE HAS A SEIZURE DISORDER pls ask what they prefer u to do in the event of a seizure
8. if i still seem confused/out of it, offer to call a friend or family member to come get me, or call a taxi
and there is also!
stuff u should not do:
1. DO NOT TRY TO RESTRAIN ME OR STOP MY MOVEMENTS
2. DO NOT STICK ANYTHING IN MY MOUTH i promise it’s physically impossible for me to swallow my tongue
3. DO NOT OFFER ME FOOD OR DRINK UNTIL I AM FULLY CONSCIOUS AND AWARE
BUT WAIT THERE’S MORE
stuff u should do for absence seizures (usually manifests as blank staring, loss of awareness, involuntary facial movements like blinking or chewing:
1. speak calmly and reassuringly
2. gently guide me away from and block access to dangers, again DO NOT PHYSICALLY RESTRAIN ME
3. if i appear agitated, stay some distance away, but still close enough to protect me if need be yy u are gonna be my knight in shining armor frand
4. stay with me until i am fully conscious and alert, offer to call whomever etc etc
yup those were some facts. and there are many more kinds of seizures, they come in all flavors. these are just the ones i am personally familiar with! so if you want to know more, always always ask your frand, they will probably appreciate knowing that u are there looking out for them
Admit it. You need me. We’re connected!
this is the best thing i’ve seen in my entire life